Temporomandibular joint has a very important function in our daily activities such as chewing, talking, blowing, swallowing etc. and its dysfunction can be very debilitating to an individual. TMJ dysfunction can cause pain, limited movements and clicking. It is not life threatening, but If not treated, it can be detrimental to an individual’s quality of life. TMJ dysfunction can occur due to several causes such as,
- Poor posture
- Bruxism (excessive grinding or clenching of teeth)
- Disc displacement
- Degenerative joint disease (Arthritis of TMJ)
- Psychological factors
Signs and symptoms TMJ pain, Restricted movements in TMJ, Clicking in TMJ, Sometimes Headaches Treatment
- Your physiotherapist can help you to manage TMJ dysfunction depending on the condition you might have and also collaborates with other professionals depending on the need.
- A physiotherapist who has experience in treating TMJ dysfunctions, with the help of his TMJ management skills can help you to reduce pain, improve mobility and give you an exercise program to maintain the function of TMJ.
- Do I need my doctor’s referral?
- No. Doctor’s referral is not necessary. If your physiotherapist encounters something which might need the doctor’s opinion then your physiotherapist will refer you to the doctor.
- How many sessions I would need?
- Every person’s body and nature of injury is different and which dictates the treatment plan. Our experienced professionals devise a very effective and efficient treatment plan where the goal is to quickly return to the pre-injury activities.