Concussion is the complex changes happening in the brain which is the result of an injury caused by a biomechanical force i.e., a direct blow to the head, neck or face or from a blow to another part the body with a mechanical force transmitted to the head. The individual may not experience a loss of consciousness (LOC) with the incident. In fact, only approximately 10% of concussions involve LOC. Concussion can happen in conjunction with other injuries such as
- whiplash, spinal cord injury
- sports injuries
- blast injuries due to an explosion
- blow or push to the head or body
Signs and symptoms of Concussion Headaches, Nausea or vomiting, Feeling slow during activities, Sensitivity to light, noise, Blurred vision, Irritable, Sleeps more or less than usual, Difficulty sleeping, Memory issues, Poor balance, Very emotional, Dizziness, Difficulty in concentration, Anxiety, No energy, tiredness How a physiotherapist can help you if you have Concussion? Our experience physiotherapists provide you a thorough examination, individualized treatment plan, evaluation procedures as none of the Concussion injuries are same and it needs an individualized approach.
- A physiotherapist performs in depth assessment to find out which body systems are affected
- Educates you on your condition
- Discusses a treatment plan with you for your better understanding
- Will use variety of treatment techniques for your fast recovery
- Provide you an exercise program
- Will make sure that you are on the right path to recovery
Sports related concussions are very common in youth and adults. It needs attention at the right time. If you, your loved ones or friends has this kind of injury and needs help we are always available for you.
- Do I need my doctor’s referral?
- No. Doctor’s referral is not necessary. If your physiotherapist encounters something which might need the doctor’s opinion then your physiotherapist will refer you to the doctor.
- How many sessions I would need?
- Every person’s body and nature of injury is different and which dictates the treatment plan. Our experienced professionals devise a very effective and efficient treatment plan where the goal is to quickly return to the pre-injury activities.